Athletics: Kenya team off to Ivory Coast for Africa show
Africa 5,000m champion Edward Zakayo and Francis Leshoo have been included in the national team to the 14th Africa under-18 and under-20 Championships that run in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, on April 18-22.
The 45-member team that left yesterday for the west African nation included world under-20 1,500m champion George Manangoi, world cross country junior champion Beatrice Chebet and Lydia Jeruto.
Age cheating and injuries forced Athletics Kenya to drop some athletes from the team.
Dolphine Omare replaced Agnes Chebet in 5,000m, who has not recovered from injury while Bravin Kipkosgei substituted Sammy Chebolei, the winner in the national trials, who was ruled out over age cheating. Ronald Kipng’etich replaced Hillary Mosop in 3,000m steeplechase.
Omare will partner with world under-20 5,000m and world cross country champion Beatrice Chebet. Zakayo will replace Reuben Poghiso, who failed to secure a passport in time.
- London Marathon 2019 embroiled in sexism row over finisher t-shirtsAthletics 2 months ago
- Arsenal highly unlikely to sign Wilfried Zaha as transfer saga turns uglyFootball 2 weeks ago
- Zaha sends powerful message to fans on joining ArsenalFootball 1 week ago
- Griezmann shocks football world, delivers on threat Football 1 week ago
- Touch of class: Arsenal star Mesut Ozil rewards Kenyan boy for second timeFootball 1 month ago
- KCB Masters offer more lessons to Kenyan prosGolf 2 weeks ago
- Harambee Stars goalkeeper joins Tanzania’s Yanga FCFootball 2 weeks ago