FKF halt leagues to give way to Ramadhan
Football Kenya Federation South Coast Branch and Mombasa sub-branch have suspended their leagues to pave way for the holy month of Ramadhan.
The leagues will resume after the end of the fasting period of Ramadhan. “As our tradition, we have put on hold our leagues until the end of the holy month of Ramadhan,” said FKF South Coast branch CEO Sumba Bwire.
“During Ramadhan, Muslims refrain from eating and drinking during the day and as FKF we wish to notify all our affiliate member clubs and the entire football fraternity that as a tradition, the federation has put on hold both the branch as well as the Mombasa County league matches to allow our Muslim brothers to fast,” said Bwire.
Ramadhan is the holiest month in the Islamic calendar and constitutes one of the five pillars of Islam.
Ramadhan started yesterday and Muslims globally will be enduring an arduous task and fulfilling an intense engagement with their faith that requires them among other obligations, to abstain from food and fluids from sunrise to sunset.
Bwire at the same time said the federation has declared a 30 day transfer period of players during the Ramadhan. “Clubs are free to sign new players during the Ramadhan period,” added Bwire.
Salim Salim, FKF Mombasa sub-branch Secretary said:
“We want to give room to our Muslim footballers to concentrate on fasting and worshipping Allah,” said Salim.
However the FKF Division Two Northern Zone League will continue taking place during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadhan with a break in the fixtures during the first week and the last week of the Ramadhan period.
Meanwhile, Bandari Youth blanked Crossroad 3-0 in an FKF Mombasa sub-branch Premier league. Boca Juniors lost 2-0 to Soweto as Annex hot Likoni Youth 2-0.
- Man in connection with racial gestures and chants during Manchester derby in TROUBLEFootball 2 days ago
- Beaten Andy Ruiz Jr wants Joshua rematchBoxing 2 days ago
- Pep Guardiola speaks after suffering a 2-1 derby defeat at home to Man UtdFootball 2 days ago
- MMUST RFC lands new shirt sponsorship Rugby 2 days ago
- Tiger Woods' niece finishes fourth as Henseleit of Germany wins the Magical Kenya Ladies Open Golf 2 days ago
- Leicester break club record with 4-1 win at VillaFootball 2 days ago
- Cecafa Senior Challenge: Harambee Stars beat TanzaniaFootball 2 days ago