Kenyan Zakayo strikes gold in Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Kenyan charges continued with their good show at the ongoing Africa Under-20 and Under-18 Championships in Abidjan, Ivory Coast with Edward Zakayo winning 5,000m gold.
World Under-20 5,000m champion Zakayo won his specialty on Friday with another title to his growing medal collections.
Zakayo, also the African Senior 5000m champion led 1–2-3 sweep in the Under-20 5,000m final.
He clocked 13:13.07 and was followed by Jacob Krop (13:14.44) in second position while Reuben Pogisho (13:43.46) settled for bronze.
“I’m grateful to win another title, I owe it to teamwork. It was a good competition for the Kenyan team generally,” Zakayo said. He also won bronze at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia.
Kenya, known for its prowess in middle and long distance races, is displaying an all-round performance in Abidjan with Faith Kipkemboi jumping her way to victory in women’s Under-20 long jump, a day after Dennis Kipchirchir bagged a rare silver in men’s Under-20 triple jump.
Also in the field events, Kenya won silver in javelin through Martha Musai in girl’s Under-18 and Dorothy Riro claimed bronze in women’s Under-20 javelin.
Meanwhile, Kenya’s Felix Kimutai raced to course records at the Yellow River Estuary International Marathon, an IAAF Gold Label road race, in the Chinese city of Dongying on yesterday.
He secured victory in 2:09:23, beating the course record of 2:09:27.
- Meet Cristiano Ronaldo's son who is following his dad’s footstepsFootball 1 month ago
- Manchester United appoint new coachFootball 1 week ago
- Photos: Semenya wins Doha 800m since gender ruling defeatAthletics 2 weeks ago
- ‘Iron-man’ is last man standing at third inter-county challenge at Thika Greens.Golf 2 weeks ago
- Rugby: Crusaders review 'offensive' name, branding after mosque attackRugby 1 month ago
- 5 Man United stars that led to Barcelona defeatFootball 1 month ago
- No title, no worries: How Liverpool will get more prize money than Man City even if they don’t win the titleFootball 1 week ago