Solskjaer's stern warning to Anthony Martial and Man Utd teammates over poor form
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told his under-performing Manchester United players some of them need a “reality check”.
United have lost five of their last seven games and are facing a battle to secure a top-four finish and with it Champions League football for next season.
Against that backdrop, Solskjaer revealed he has spoken to players individually to warn them of the need to raise their level, with misfiring striker Anthony Martial among those he has sat down with.
Martial signed a new five-year contract in January, but has one goal in the past two months, with Solskjaer warning him and other out-of-form United players there is “no hiding place” at the club.
“Most of them have really impressed in their attitude and some need to get a reality check of where they're at,” said Solskjaer.
“But most of these know they can improve if they keep working as they do.
“I've spoken to individuals and they know. Anthony is one I've spoken to, about what we expect from them.
“Anthony's got a massive talent, he's got a new contract and knows we believe in him, so he just has to keep working.
“I think anyone that plays for Manchester United has to deliver to stay in the squad and stay in the team
“Anthony is no different to Rashy [Marcus Rashford] or Rom [Lukaku] or Alexis or the many forwards we have to choose form.
“That's the great thing about - now it's down to the players and the ownership they take.
“Every day in training, every game when you're playing, there's no hiding place and everyone can see where your levels at.
“We're working with fantastic staff to create this culture, for players to take ownership of what's happening here as well.
“But the performances on the pitch will determine where they're at, if it's short term or long term every single day, and that's what we spoke about at Barca.
“When you're at big stadiums, you've got to step up and make good decisions.”
- Chelsea star signs new two-year deal at Stamford BridgeFootball 2 weeks ago
- Mike Tyson reveals how smoking toad venom changed his lifeBoxing 2 weeks ago
- Kenyan star Wanyama earns Messi comparisons Football 1 month ago
- European finalists to enjoy player luxury after final bench rule changeFootball 5 days ago
- Kenyan 800m runner Wambui slams Semenya testosterone rulingAthletics 3 weeks ago
- Photos: Mo Salah, Mane and Aubameyang all win Golden BootFootball 1 week ago
- Local Golfers to experience world class golfGolf 1 week ago