Nigerian footballer arrested with drugs, expired visa in India [Photos]
A Nigerian footballer has been arrested at North East Delhi, India, after being found in possession of crystal meth and an expired visa.
The footballer identified only as Ikenna was nabbed with 10g of crystal meth brought from Mumbai and 18g of cocaine recovered in his house in Kardampuri, Jyoti Nagar.
On Sunday, April 14, North East Delhi Deputy Commissioner of Police Atul Kumar Thakur said they were tipped off about Ikenna who has been living in India since 2013 without a visa and had initially entered India as a professional football player.
A team led by Assistant Commissioner of Police Gokulpuri Anuj Kumar seized Ikenna while on his way to a party where he was to allegedly sell the drugs.
The police officers later got to his house where they recovered more drugs.
After interrogation, the Nigerian footballer told the police he was the third person in the chain of suppliers and was receiving the meth from a source in Mumbai.
This shows it is a chain of party drug smugglers.
He further said he made regular visits to Mumbai to meet his source, Angel, and would bring the drugs to Delhi.
The smugglers target college students in universities in Delhi. Ikenna would make his way to parties and music events to meet customers.
The 40-year-old played in the lower divisions for clubs in Haryana and West Bengal and came in contact with the smugglers after his football career ended.
The police are further probing other members of the gang.
- Wambui and Kageha out of Kenya team to world meetAthletics 13 hours ago
- Rugby World Cup kicks off with outstanding opening ceremony [Photos]Rugby 1 day ago
- Ballon d'Or organisers introduce goalkeeper awardFootball 1 day ago
- UON Dynamites square it out with FlamesBasketball 13 hours ago
- Senate Speaker Lusaka to flag off Kitui Avena Half MarathonAthletics 1 day ago
- KPA MD Manduku flags off Bandari, welcomes TwahaFootball 2 days ago
- Volleyball: Bitok says his team did not play well against ArgentinaVolleyball and Handball 1 day ago