USIU book semis slot after win over Pirates
United States International University-Africa (USIU) RFC dispatched South Coast Pirates 23-13 at Ukunda Grounds over the weekend to book a home semi-final playoff in the 2018-19 KRU Championship.
The students leapfrogged Western Bulls to finish second in the standings with 58 points, three more than Bulls.
Team captain Eliud Mulakoli said they are ready for the semis despite missing the chance of finishing ahead of Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) Monks, who now lead with 59 points.
“We were aiming for a top finish in our game in hand against Pirates but we didn’t get the bonus win," said Mulakoli.
"However, a home semi-final is okay for us and we look forward to defeat whoever who qualifies for the last four,” he added.
"It has been a tough campaign but we are ready and determined to go all the way and finish this in style."
The students grounded three tries through a Fred Okoth double and Joe Awori to seal the victory with captain Mulakoli ensuring the conversions were good.
South Coast Pirates finished 10th with 24 points, seven above relegated Kitale RFC.
Western Bulls will now host Mombasa RFC in the quarter finals playoffs while Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST) RFC travel to the lakeside city to face Silverstone Kisumu.
The winner between Bulls and Mombasa will then face USIU in the semis as MMUST and Kisumu match winner play leaders Monks in another semis next month.
- Fourth year student dies celebrating Champions League semi-final goalFootball 2 weeks ago
- Ikinu on target to lift KDF title at RoyalGolf 3 weeks ago
- Ronaldo beats Messi to 600 club goalsFootball 3 weeks ago
- 10 players from around Europe your club can sign on FREE transfers this summerFootball 3 days ago
- Dandora stadium to be ready in July, Sonko saysFootball 1 month ago
- ‘I used fake penis to cheat drug testers before Olympics’ – Kardashian’s ex-husbandAthletics 3 days ago
- Video: Racism? Valencia fan spits at arsenal hat trick hero AubameyangFootball 1 week ago