Pope Francis: Calling Messi God is blasphemous
Pope Francis has said that it is sacrilege for people to call Lionel Messi 'God'.
The pontiff was speaking to host Jordi Evole on the ‘Salvados’ programme broadcast on Spanish TV channel La Sexta when he was asked about people referring to Messi as 'God’.
Evole asked the Pope: “Is it sacrilege to say that Messi is God?”
And Pope Francis replied: “In theory it is sacrilege, you cannot say it, I don’t believe. Do you believe you can?”
When Evole replied that he thought it was fine to say that, the pontiff, a native of Argentina like Messi, responded with a laugh and said: “I don’t. People say 'God' like they say 'I adore you'.
"Adoring is only for God, they are expressions people use. 'He is a god with a ball on the pitch', they are popular ways of expressing oneself.”
Speaking about Messi’s skill, Pope Francis said: “Of course, he brings happiness, but he isn’t God.”
The Pope has previously admitted to being a football fan and follows Argentine top-flight side San Lorenzo de Almagro.
Messi's second-half brace gave Barcelona a 2-0 victory over city rivals Espanyol on Saturday.
The Argentine superstar surpassed 40 goals in a season for the 10th successive year as his double helped Barca to a vital victory over their rivals.
Messi broke the deadlock in the 71st minute when his chipped free-kick attempt from the edge of the box was helped over the line by back-tracking Espanyol defender Victor Sanchez.
The forward, who had been an injury doubt for the game, then turned in a cross from substitute Malcom to seal victory after 89 minutes.
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 1 month ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 month ago
- Joe Kadenge burial billed at Sh5 millionFootball 1 month ago
- REVEALED! Why there is no SportPesa Mega JackpotFootball 2 months ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 1 month ago
- Confirmed: Harambee Stars knocked out of 2019 AfconFootball 1 month ago