Kenya Cup: Classy Kubu helps millers sink Leos as Kabras Sugar go above KCB
Fijian fly-half Jone Kubu scored four tries on his first start of the season as Kabras Sugar beat Strathmore Leos 54-7 to go one point above rivals KCB Bank at the helm of the Kenya Cup.
The sugar millers’ bonus win against the students moved them to 69 points as KCB stayed second with 68 after the bankers managed only three tries in their 24-10 win over Kenya Harlequins.
The visitors were first to cross the white wash early into the game and went seven points up, but their lead was cut short by a surging George Nyambua, who thrashed through the students defense to get the millers first of the day.
Jone Kubu, who was making his first start of the season sent wide his conversion attempt leaving the scores at 7-5 in favour of Leos.
The Fijian then amended his earlier miss by sidestepping past the students to touch down for the millers’ second.
Uganda skipper Asuman Mugerwa then took the scores to 19-7 before halftime after Kubu added the extras.
Kubu, starting in the absence of South African Logan Basson, then landed two early tries after the resumption for a 33-7 lead before Nyambua got his hat trick also by touching down twice as Kabras dominated possession and territory.
The 2016 champions finished with a flourish as Kubu went over for his fourth of the day to complete a fantastic eight-try bonus point win.
Team coach Henley Du Plessis praised his charges having secured a playoff spot saying they now have to bring the final to Kakamega with a win over Impala.
“I am pleased that the team has maintained consistency even after the loss against KCB. Kubu was fantastic also in today’s game. Now we have to set the final here in Kakamega with a win over Impala next weekend,” Du Plessis said.
- Ronaldo names Messi as favourite player to watchFootball 1 day ago
- FKF polls: Football players want a quick resolution to poll crisis and credible exerciseFootball 6 hours ago
- Liverpool’s training return a massive lift for KloppFootball 1 day ago
- MLS players send new restart proposal to leagueFootball 2 days ago
- Chelsea stars take the knee as Premier League stars lead way on Blackout TuesdayFootball 12 hours ago
- Fans could return for 20-21 season, says Premier League chiefFootball 2 days ago
- Athletics: Stars dust spikes in readiness for epic race on June 11Athletics 6 hours ago