Ronaldo fined 20,000 euros by UEFA for mimicking Simeone celebration
Cristiano Ronaldo was fined 20,000 euros ($22,738) by UEFA on Thursday for mimicking Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone's crotch-grabbing celebration in Juventus' Champions League last 16 win last week.
The 34-year-old scored a second-leg hat-trick as the Italian champions overturned a 2-0 first-leg deficit to progress to the quarter-finals.
He replicated Simeone's gesture after the first game by grasping his genitals and thrusting out his groin following his tie-winning penalty.
Argentinian Simeone was also fined 20,000 euros by UEFA for his celebration, with European football's governing body following suit in Ronaldo's case.
"He will have seen how I did it at the Wanda Metropolitano and, like me, was trying to show his character," Simeone said after the match.
Ronaldo, who returns to Portugal international duty after a nine-month absence later on Thursday, has scored 24 goals for Juventus since signing from Real Madrid for 100 million euros last year.
- Boxing: Former Olympic champion retiresBoxing 1 month ago
- Expanded 2022 World Cup to generate $300-400 million windfallFootball 1 month ago
- Shame: Some Gor Mahia players arrived at Kasarani on bodabodasFootball 1 week ago
- Fury over disallowed goal as Gor Mahia lose in AlgeriaFootball 1 month ago
- Salah calls for change in treatment of women in Muslim worldSports 4 days ago
- Arsenal Warm weather training in Dubai (photos)Football 4 weeks ago
- KOGL, Barclays Bank lift Magical Kenya Open tourneyGolf 1 month ago