Homa Bay, Agoro Sare upset champions to conquer Nyanza finals
Homa Bay High School are the new Nyanza Region boys’ hockey champions.
The hosts dethroned defending champions Kisumu Day 3-2 in sudden death as curtains came down on the region’s Term One Secondary school games yesterday.
The East Africa hockey champions had played a barren draw by full time and drew 2-2 in the eight seconds tie break.
Homa Bay then claimed the title in the sudden death after Kisumu Day missed to convert their efforts.
Kisumu Day will now miss the opportunity to represent the region in the nationals and team coach Booker Odhiambo said they will come back stronger.
“We are very unlucky once again after similar results that saw us lose the Kisumu County title to Maseno. The team is disappointed for failing to progress even though we controlled the game. However, we will go back and train hard for next year’s games,” Odhiambo said.
In girls’ category, Nyamira High are new regional champions after defeating Pamela Mboya 2-0.
Nyamira replaced Sinyolo Girls as the region’s champions after Sinyolo, who are former East Africa champions, were disqualified from the competition in the semifinals.
Agoro Sare also pulled another upset in the championships by defending champions Maseno School 56-54 in boys’ basketball final.
The new champions took the first quarter 9-8 before enjoying a four-basket lead in the second quarter.
An intense tight third quarter saw the two teams tie 18-18 as Agoro Sare eventually sealed the title despite losing 17-16 in the last quarter.
Ambira finished third. Defending basketball champions Barchando retained girls’ basketball title.
- Volleyball: Atuka relishing Pipeline’s underdog tagVolleyball and Handball 1 month ago
- Watford 0-1 Arsenal: Gunners head into Premier League top fourFootball 4 days ago
- Solskjaer 'beyond excited' after landing permanent Man Utd jobFootball 3 weeks ago
- Chelsea appeal against FIFA transfer banPremier League 1 month ago
- Xhaka, Aubameyang on target as Arsenal climb over Man United into top 4Football 1 month ago
- Kenya Open top dogs have their sayGolf 1 month ago
- Ten-man Gor Mahia edge Tusker 1-0Football 1 month ago