USIU rugby player Derrick Obiero dies, Kenya Rugby sends condolences
The Kenya Rugby fraternity has condoled with the USIU rugby team following the demise of one of their players.
Derrick Obiero died on Tuesday, March 12 from a brain tumour.
USIU confirmed his demise via their official Twitter page: “It is with great sorrow that we announce the death of one of our own Derrick Obiero, who died this evening from a brain tumor. Our deepest condolences go out to his family and friends as well. May God be with us during this trying time,” read the tweet.
“The Kenya Rugby Fraternity condoles with @usiurfc after the demise of one of their players, Derrick Obiero. May God Rest his Soul in eternal Peace,” tweeted Kenya Rugby on Thursday.
According to Scrummage, Obiero died on Tuesday at around 7:15 PM at St Francis Hospital in Kasarani Area in Nairobi where he had been rushed for treatment.
The USIU winger had an infection and was taken to the facility where he went through a CT scan that revealed he had a brain tumour.
An MRI scan was done later but he passed on before the results were out.
He also played at Kakamega Rugby Club and Kabras RFC before joining USIU.
The demise of Obiero comes days after Impala RFC fullback Richard Sidindi drowned at the club’s swimming pool.
Sindindi who was a core figure of Impala RFC and the Kenya 7’s team drowned in February while doing his morning swimming training.
He left behind a young family, wife Catherine and daughter Candace.
- Points to catch Safari Rally action today for freeSports 1 week ago
- Atletico Madrid sign Man United target for for Sh15 billion Football 2 weeks ago
- Drama as Mane scores, misses penalty as Senegal knock out UgandaFootball 1 week ago
- Life and times of Joe Kadenge [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Everton to face Kariobangi Sharks in Kenya on July 7Football 2 months ago
- Solskjaer sends powerful message to Pogba on leaving Man United Football 1 week ago
- How Morocco sank Ivory Coast again at AFCONFootball 2 weeks ago