Nairobi Woman Rep Esther Passaris comes to the rescue of ailing city football teams
Nairobi Woman Representative Esther Passaris on Tuesday came to the rescue of city teams that had failed to pay Football Kenya Federation (FKF) subscription fees.
Passaris launched a partnership between her office through the National Government Affirmative Action Fund (NGAAF) and the FKF to support Nairobi County football teams that are struggling to subscribe to their FKF membership.
The Nairobi legislator launched the collaboration in Kasarani where she presided over a colourful event and presented a cheque of Sh16 million to FKF president Nick Mwendwa.
The MP also gave out sports kits worth Sh3 million. Speaking to players drawn from several constituencies, she expressed her commitment to the empowerment of the youths by supporting sports talent.
She also pledged to fund the training of 50 female referees. She made her intentions of offering more assistance beyond the financial year and promised to work with the Nairobi based football teams until the end of her term in 2022.
"It came to my attention that a number of clubs could not raise their participation fees, and were in arrears. Through this fund, we are able to help these clubs at the grassroots offset that cost," said Passaris.
On his side, FKF president Nick Mwendwa welcomed the move and thanked the lawmaker for committing to the youth in the city. He, however, urged the beneficiaries to keep working hard and avoid squandering the opportunity given to them by the Government.
"This sponsorship will go a long way in offsetting the club's cost of participation. Now the boys can play football without any worries. We hope that more people from political leadership can come forward and support football at the grassroots," the FKF boss said.
More than 100 teams had been locked out of competitive football. Team representatives took the opportunity to air their grievances.
- Atletico Madrid sign Man United target for for Sh15 billion Football 1 month ago
- OFFICIAL: PSG sign former Man United starFootball 1 month ago
- Life and times of Joe Kadenge [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Solskjaer sends powerful message to Pogba on leaving Man United Football 1 month ago
- How Morocco sank Ivory Coast again at AFCONFootball 1 month ago
- Man City unveil new kits for 2019/20 season inspired by historic nightclubPremier League 1 month ago
- Meet Arsenal’s new striker – who had several trials at Man United Football 1 month ago