Gor Mahia captain Shakava regrets suspension
Suspended Gor Mahia captain Harun Shakava says his ban and that off fellow defender Joash Onyango is a big blow to the team ahead of tomorrow’s Confederations Cup match against New Star of Cameroon.
The Confederations of African Football (CAF) announced on Tuesday it had suspended the duo over events during their Champions League match against Lobi Stars of Nigeria last month.
“It is a huge blow. I was not expecting it but at the same time those who are available should do the job. We have the quality that can match them and so it is upto them to do the work,” he said.
Shakava blamed the match referee, who handled their fixture as being biased.
“The officiating left a lot to be desired. He was unfair to us and as a captain I expressed our disgust but never retaliated as claimed in the match report.”
According to Caf, Shakava is suspended for kicking back at Lobi Stars goalkeeper John Lawrence. ‘The goalkeeper of Lobi Stars, John Lawrence slapped Haron Shakava of Gor Mahia who then went to kick back the goalkeeper.
“The referee was about to show them red cards but he had to be evacuated by the police due to pitch invasion.
“Reports indicate that Joash Onyango came towards the referee at the end of the match and insulted him with abusive language,” said the CAF report.
Gor Mahia were edged out of the tournament on the away goal rule after losing the return match 2-0.
- Snow claims third Safari Tour victoryGolf 1 day ago
- Ataro among coaches awaiting Telkom callHockey 1 day ago
- AFC Leopards, shida iko wapi? Football 1 hour ago
- Petr Cech to be offered chance to return to ChelseaPremier League 1 day ago
- Emery provides update on Ozil amid claims German could leave ArsenalFootball 16 hours ago
- Manchester United star fumes at team-mates during training Football 53 minutes ago
- Mourinho rejects opportunity to become top club managerFootball 1 week ago