Jose Mourinho hails 'best in the world' David De Gea after Young Boys wonder save
Jose Mourinho hailed David De Gea as the best goalkeeper in the world after his second-half wonder save against Young Boys.
Manchester United ran out 1-0 winners against the Swiss outfit courtesy of Marouane Fellaini's last-gasp strike.
But it was Spaniard De Gea who had earlier kept it goalless by somehow clawing Ulisses Garcia's deflected effort off the goal line.
And Mourinho attributed the win to his goalkeeper after seeing his side progress to the last 16 of the Champions League.
"It is a very difficult group and to qualify with a game to spare is good," he told BT Sport. "The performance had a lot of good things and a lot of disappointing things too.
"We lost too many chances, crucial ones in crucial moments. This is the kind of game if you score in the first minute you normally go for a different performance.
"You could pay with a draw and with a defeat too. David De Gea only had one save but it looks a phenomenal save, a save that best goalkeeper in the world does and gives his team the possibility to win the match.
"We had more than one chance, we had a lot of half chances. It is not about blaming one player who missed a chance at the beginning of the game.
"Goals win games. I am happy with Marcus Rashford's intensity, the way we started and the intention we showed but then it is not easy to cope with the frustration and result that does not suit us."
Mourinho also took aim at his critics once more - pointing out that he has never failed to take a team into the Champions League knockout stages.
"The most important thing is to qualify and for some of my lovers, and those that like stats, I am 14 seasons in the Champions League and 14 times my teams have qualified through to the group stages," he added.
"The season I was not in the Champions League, I won the Europa League."
- For Gor Mahia, it was blood, toil, tears and sweatFootball 1 day ago
- Football commentator 'apologises' for racist comment during Talksport FA Cup broadcastFootball 1 month ago
- Meet Nicholas Kipkirui – the young footballer taking K’Ogalo by stormFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON Qualifier vs Ghana: No Michael Olunga for Harambee StarsFootball 1 week ago
- Amina Mohamed: Will she fix the sports docket?Sports 3 weeks ago
- Upcoming mouthwatering Premier League matches Football 3 weeks ago
- KPC ladies' volleyball team beat Rwanda in Africa Club Championship Volleyball and Handball 6 days ago