Rugby: Oilers ready for Kenya Cup debut
Ahead of his side’s first season in the Kenya Cup, Menengai Oilers head coach Gibson Weru is optimistic that his charges will give a good account of themselves when the 2018-19 season gets underway today.
The Nakuru-based club, which qualified to the top-tier after a second place finish in last season’s Kenya Rugby Union Championship league launch their campaign against defending champions Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) at the RFUEA grounds.
The match, set to kick off at 4pm will be preceded by the clash pitting Homeboyz against Nondescript.
“Facing KCB in our first match will be a very good challenge because they are a top side with seasoned players.The boys are really excited about making their top flight debut. Some young players have joined us from schools and we hope to start the season on a positive note,” Weru told The Standard Sports.
Asked on his target for the season, the former Kenya Sevens international said: “I will be satisfied if we end the season anywhere in the top seven but our prime target is to first survive.”
Other matches scheduled for today will see 2016 champions Kabras Sugar host Mean Machine as Impala Saracens and Kenyatta University’s Blak Blad lock horns at the Impala Club. [Clement Wekulo]
- Shame: Some Gor Mahia players arrived at Kasarani on bodabodasFootball 3 months ago
- Football: Wanga shuts door on Stars after 12-year dutyFootball 1 week ago
- Real Madrid confirm signing of star striker Football 1 month ago
- Nigeria suffers shock loss to AFCON debutants MadagascarFootball 2 weeks ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 2 weeks ago
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 1 week ago
- Why Wanyama will still be forced out of Tottenham even if Eriksen departsFootball 1 week ago