Stars team yet to be paid months after India trip
Football Kenya Federation has not paid Harambee Stars players, who took part in the 2018 Intercontinental Cup tournament held in India their dues from the Sh2.5 million prize money awarded for emerging the first runner-up. Kenya had a comprehensive squad of 21 players at the tournament held between June 1 and 10.
One of the players explained to The Nairobian that the agreement was that the federation gets half of the Sh2.5 million and the other half was to be shared amongst the players. This means every player was to receive about Sh119,000. But three months down the line, no payment has been made.
“Hatujalipwa anything hadi wa leo,” a player who sought anonymity for fear of victimisation told The Nairobian. Another player also expressed his frustrations about the issue saying that he had planned for the money. “We have not received what was supposed to be shared amongst us after emerging number two in the tournament. It hurts because some of my projects cannot run,” he said.
The Nairobian sought a reaction from Football Kenya Federation head of communication Barry Otieno who said: “India sent the prize money, but not as prompt as was expected. It is however unfortunate that we have not been able to transfer the money to players’ accounts because we’re having problems accessing the money because of issues to do with the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA). We’re working round the clock to ensure players get what is rightfully theirs.”
Barry said that only allowances for two players -Jockins Atudo and Clifton Miheso - who registered stellar performances at the tournament, had been paid. Atudo has confirmed the same to The Nairobian.
“Yes,nililipwa allowance yangu, for being Man of the Match,” he said.
- Santiago Solari is the new Real Madrid manager until 2021Football 12 hours ago
- Pogba’s latest statement leaves Man United fans excited worldwidePremier League 16 hours ago
- Ronaldo reveals the main reason he left Real MadridFootball 2 weeks ago
- Mary Keitany wins 2018 New York MarathonAthletics 1 week ago
- Chelsea star 'given green light to leave club with Manchester United ready to pounce'Football 9 hours ago
- Leroy Sane to join Cristiano Ronaldo at JuventusGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Nakuru eye winning start against StrathmoreRugby 3 hours ago