‘Engineer’ Olunga helps 10-man Harambee Stars defeat Ghana
Harambee Stars got their African Cup of Nations qualification campaign back on track with a 1-0 win over Ghana’s Black Stars at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani on Saturday.
Ghana’s Nicholas Opuko put the ball in the back of his own net deep in the first half after Eric Johanna whipped in a cross from the right flank. Michael Olunga was in the right place at the right time – putting sufficient pressure on Opuko resulting in the goal.
Joash Onyango received a straight red card after fouling Majeed Waris as he was clean through on goal. Kenya Coach Sebastien Migne wasted no time- took out Eric Johanna and brought in the much-experienced David Ochieng.
Kenya missed the services of Tottenham midfield powerhouse Victor Wanyama, who is said to have been denied permission by the London-based club.
CF Fuenlabrada’s Ismael Gonzalez gave Kenyan’s a glimpse of his abilities, stringing a number of good passes in the lead up to the goal.
The win sees Migne’s men break a 15-year jinx against James Kwesi Appiah’s Black stars, who sit third in Group F with three points.
Kenya is now second.
- Shakava: Gor should start early Caf preparations Football 4 hours ago
- Hockey: Debutants Lakers inch closer to women’s top tierHockey 1 day ago
- AFC to Gor: Don’t open champagne cork yetFootball 1 month ago
- Netball: Kenya lose to hosts Zambia in continental openerVolleyball and Handball 1 month ago
- Sh 32 million sports academy lying underutilized in Taita-Taveta CountySports 1 month ago
- Makueni beats Kisumu in sitting volleyball tourneySports 1 month ago
- Ochieng shows how it’s done: Custodian trainer mentors budding talent in KayoleFootball 4 hours ago