Antonio Rudiger breaks silence after being dropped by Chelsea boss Antonio Conte - and he's not happy
Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger insists he was fit to face Southampton and has 'no idea' why he was axed by Blues boss Antonio Conte.
The German appeared to face the wrath of Conte who appeared to take offence to the 25-year-old's questioning of his tactics after the West Ham draw.
Rudiger said: "I think in the second half we [could] finish the game [off]. But like the last few months, we didn't and we [conceded].
"For me, it's not easy to explain. I don't understand why after 1-0 we always drop and let the opponent get more ball possession."
After his comments, he was a notable omission from the matchday squad for the 3-2 win over Southampton at St Marys on Saturday, not even travelling to the south coast.
The centre-back confirmed that he was ready to play on German TV show "Das aktuelle Sportstudio" yesterday. Asked why he was not in the squad, he said: "I have no idea. I am fully fit."
It appeared to be a poor decision as Rudiger's replacement Gary Cahill struggled as the Saints went 2-0 up before an Olivier Giroud brace and Eden Hazard goal spared Conte his blushes - and likely his job.
After the game the Italian spoke out about why Rudiger wasn't to be seen, telling reporters: "No [there is no injury], it was a tactical decision."
- Yaya Toure’s agent leaves fans shocked with latest ‘witchdoctor’ tweet on GuardiolaPremier League 1 hour ago
- Kipchoge has extra-ordinary muscular and mental strength – renowned athletics coachAthletics 5 hours ago
- Kenya moves up five places in latest FIFA rankingsFootball 41 minutes ago
- Jose Mourinho explains why his captain will not play against Young Boys tonight Football 22 hours ago
- Tottenham captain pleads guilty to 'drunk-driving' [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Usain Bolt can be good defender – World Cup-winning coachFootball 1 week ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s epic response after teammates told him Messi is betterFootball 1 week ago