New Zealand beats Kenya 45-0 at the 2018 Commonwealth Games
Kenya’s Lionesses hopes of winning a medal in Women’s Rugby sevens at the Commonwealth Games faded after a shocking 45-0 defeat to New Zealand in Women’s Pool Round-Pool A, at Robina Stadium.
Portia Woodman was the standout player for New Zealand, while Niall Williams grabbed herself a splendidly opportunistic try, chasing up to pounce as one of the Kenyans tried to shepherd the ball out over the dead-ball line.
Kelly Brazier and Gayle Broughton showed fantastic footwork to step through the Kenyan defence for their tries after Woodman gave New Zealand their fast start.
Having led 19-0 at the break, a double to Williams, including one in which she chased down and dived full length Wonder Woman style to plant a kick ahead just short of the dead ball line, saw the Kiwis pull well clear.
However, Kenya will have a chance to redeem themselves in their 2nd match against Canada at 12.11pm today.
This is the first time in history Women’s Rugby sevens is being played at Commonwealth Games.
- Manchester United 'in talks' with Fenerbahce over star defender Football 2 days ago
- Done deal: Barcelona star set for Man United moveGossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago
- Sanchez slams Manchester United summer transfer businessFootball 1 week ago
- Thierry Henry to take over an African country as coachGossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago
- Harry Maguire responds to Man United over summer transferGossip & Rumours 3 weeks ago
- Tottenham forced to delay opening of new stadiumPremier League 4 days ago
- Ashley and Njenga win in Karen tourney for juniorsGolf 2 days ago