Nacional fans banned for mocking Chapecoense plane crash
Nacional de Montevideo have received a three-match no-fan ban after some of their supporters mocked Chapecoense over the plane crash that wiped out most of the Brazilian club's squad in 2016.
The South American football confederation (Conmebol) made the ruling Tuesday after Nacional fans sang songs and made gestures at Chapecoense's stadium during a Copa Libertadores game on January 31.
The Brazilian club asked Conmebol to throw Nacional out of the competition, but the confederation instead banned the Uruguayan club's fans from their next three games in the competition and fined the club $80,000 dollars (65,000 euros).
The plane carrying the Chapecoense team to a Copa Suamericana semi-final crashed into a mountain in Medellin, Colombia, killing 71 people including most of the team in November 2016.
- Furious Mourinho: This is why we were beaten 3-2 by BrightonFootball 17 hours ago
- Gaming: SportPesa at it again with best industry awardSports 13 hours ago
- Chelsea star Eden Hazard makes huge transfer decision - reportsPremier League 4 hours ago
- Goalkeeper suffers broken nose in collision with RonaldoFootball 4 hours ago
- Inter Counties Games: Four counties express interest to host 7th editionSports 13 hours ago
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery reveals why they were beaten by ChelseaFootball 1 day ago
- Sarri: I may give up smoking at ChelseaPremier League 1 hour ago