Basel 0 - 4 Manchester City: Ruthless City finish off Basel in 23 minutes
Manchester City effectively killed off their Champions League tie against FC Basel after 23 minutes on Tuesday, flattening the Swiss champions with three quickfire goals on their way to a 4-0 away win.
Ilkay Gundogan, Bernardo Silva and Sergio Aguero scored within nine minutes of each other in the last 16 first leg tie to almost certainly extend Basel's wait for a first quarter-final appearance in the competition.
Gundogan curled in the fourth from the edge of the area in the 53rd minute as the runaway English Premier League leaders clocked up another emphatic win in their remarkable season.
Basel did their best to make a game of it and created several openings but looked vulnerable every time City attacked.
- Feel good factor: Man United's De Gea on course for new contractPremier League 1 month ago
- Post-mortem reveals Cardiff City star Emiliano Sala’s cause of deathFootball 5 days ago
- Reasons behind Usain Bolt's decision to retire from footballFootball 3 weeks ago
- David Luiz sends powerful message to Sarri about 6-0 defeat at Man City last weekendFootball 1 day ago
- Manchester United beat Leicester on Rashford's dayFootball 1 week ago
- Star footballer abandons match, rushes to hospital after wife goes into labour [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Caster Semenya should be classified as male athlete, says IAAFAthletics 3 days ago