Wenger admits Aubameyang signing may have affected Lacazette’s confidence
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted that Gunners striker Alexandre Lacazette is struggling in front of goal since Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang arrival.
Lacazette, who has scored only once in his last 13 matches, started on the bench against Spurs and missed two good late chances that could have prevented their 1-0 defeat.
The France striker has been a substitute since the club record £54 million addition of Aubameyang from Borussia Dortmund was instantly installed as first-choice striker.
Asked if Lacazette, who was Arsenal's previous record signing, is suffering from a lack of confidence, Wenger said: “For him, one against one with the keeper, he is a good goalscorer.
“He has gone through difficult periods before. He works hard in training, works on his finishing.
"I don’t know what happened, did he not touch the ball well? It can happen, it is a fraction of a second.
"Maybe the confidence is not at its highest because he has seen a competitor coming in for him.”
Lacazette has scored nine goals in 26 Premier League appearances for Arsenal since joining for £46.5m last summer.
- Shocking death statistics of World Cup 2022 stadium workers revealedFootball 5 hours ago
- Golf: Gakima floors 78 golfers to win at Railways ClubGolf 1 day ago
- FA condemns fans' "unacceptable behaviour" before England v SpainFootball 19 hours ago
- Spain 2-3 England: Sterling leads Three Lions to stunning success in SevilleFootball 6 hours ago
- Floyd Mayweather responds to UFC Champion Khabib challenging him to a fightBoxing 19 hours ago
- A day in the life of a living legend - Eliud Kipchoge [Photos] Athletics 2 hours ago
- The bet Real Madrid players made about CR7 leaving for Juventus – revealed by ModricFootball 2 hours ago