Liverpool vs Manchester City, probable line up and likely results
English Premier League leaders Manchester City will be locking horns with Liverpool at Anfield as they aim at recording their 21st win in the premier league campaign. The Sunday evening fixture will present one of the toughest matches for the blues this season; given the impressive record that Jurgen Klopp’s men have on their home ground.
After having drawn only a couple of games, winning 20 and losing none; Pep Guardiola is upbeat about their chances of staging an ‘invincible’ record. That bid will be tested in the next 15 fixtures should they win against the Reds and snatch 6 points against the regular tormentors this season.
Even after losing Phillipe Coutinho to Barcelona and Jordan Henderson to injury, Liverpool goes into the match with an injury boost as their best player in Mohammed Salah who has shone with over 20 goals already returns. Nonetheless, the Merseyside club will miss the services of Henderson and Coutinho who in the recent seasons have proven to be thorns in the flesh of Man City.
Klopp will likely entrust a trio of Mohammed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino to lead the attack against the runaway leaders. £75M winter acquisition Virgil Van Dijk is also touted to feature in the backline of the hosts. Striker Daniel Sturridge is expected to be sidelined as he recovers from injury.
Manchester City on the hand have absentees in Gabriel Jesus who is out injured, defender Benjamin Mendy and Vincent Kompany who has been a long-term injury-prone player.
City hit Liverpool 5-0 in the first leg that was played at the Etihad Stadium in September. Jurgen Klopp will undoubtedly be on a revenge mission given their superior record at Anfield especially against big teams. Reds have won two games, drawn one and lost another in their past 4 games against City.
With their rare defeat against Blues at Anfield, it can only be anticipated that this will be a tough game with possibilities yielding many goals.
Liverpool probable line up: Karius; Gomez, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson; Can, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain; Mane, Firmino, Salah
Manchester City Starting Lineup (4-3-3): Ederson; Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Delph; Fernandinho, Silva, De Bruyne; Sane, Aguero, Sterling.
Both coaches prefer 4-3-3 formation with high-line defense pressing system.
Game Yetu Prediction: 2-2 Draw.
- World Cup final pitch invader jailedWorld Cup 2018 9 hours ago
- Pogba reveals why he held World Cup trophy with shin pad during celebrationsWorld Cup 2018 23 hours ago
- Golf-action moves to Karen course as KCB tourney kicks off-sports-golfGolf 18 hours ago
- Two France fans die in Moscow during violent World Cup celebrationWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Ronaldo targets Champions League glory at new club JuventusFootball 20 hours ago
- Riots, looting spree and accidents taint French World Cup partyWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- PHOTOS: Man United first pre-season training session in Los AngelesFootball 7 hours ago