Serena Williams eyeing more title as she plans a come-back to the competition
The world’s 23 time grand slam tennis champion Serena Williams is planning to make a return to the game soon and she is targeting the Australian Open, the Irish media have confirmed. The media reveals that according to the tournament’s director Craig Tiley, the 36 year old is targeting a grand come back with 2019 tournaments being her main focus.
The US Champion is said to be planning to use the Australian Open as her return to the court to keep her fit for the coming matches. Williams has not competed since 2016 when she became pregnant with her first child, whom she delivered in September 2017.
She is targeting the 2019 Melbourne Park competition, which Tiley believes to be her focus in surpassing the record of 24 single titles.
While speaking to the Irish media, Tiley depicted how upbeat he is about the anticipated returm by the tennis icon into the game.
"She's got her visa, she's entered, she's practising and she's probably just got to find a bit more space for a bigger entourage. There's no question that she'll be ready in our view and she wants to break a record that is Margaret Court's. It would be a pretty significant accomplishment for her to be able to do that," Tiley said.
This comes after she wedded her boyfriend, the Reddit Co-founder Alexis Ohanian in a pompous wedding in New Orleans in November.
- De Bruyne to miss three months with knee injuryFootball 7 hours ago
- Namibia coach wary of Simbas threat in Cup tieRugby 21 hours ago
- Ashley and Njenga win in Karen tourney for juniorsGolf 1 day ago
- Cavalry Cup set to light up Manyatta Polo Club in GilgilSports 21 hours ago
- Ujuzisoka land in SpainFootball 21 hours ago
- Hail Kenya’s shooting stars: Local sharpshooters post superb display in South AfricaSports 21 hours ago
- How Bett’s talent was tapped while in schoolAthletics 6 days ago