Fireworks expected as Coast schools battle kicks off
Firework are expected over the next three days starting today as Coast schools battle for national slots.
Shimo La Tewa High School in Mombasa will be the venue for the Coast region secondary school term two ‘A’ games.
All the six counties that form Coast region were expected to report at the venue yesterday, a day before the start of the games.
Coast schools will also use the venue to acclimatise as it will host the national games from June 6 to 10.
Athletics, handball, netball and rugby 7s are the disciplines to be on show at the term two ‘A’ games.
But the focus will be the netball, as reigning national champions Kaya Tiwi School from Kwale County showcase their skills to give Coast fans assurance that they are ready to retain the title at home.
Team coach Philip Onyango said the girls have been maturing after each match from the sub-county to the county level games.
“We have not lost a single game this season and we intend to retain the title with an unbeaten record, “ said Onyango.
However, the coach said he would not underrate his opponents because they are well prepared.
Kaya Tiwi open their title quest with a match against Lamu’s representatives Lake Kenyatta, where the former starts as favourites before they play Mombasa and Tana River representatives in the preliminary round.
The games have attracted representatives from Kilifi, Kwale, Tana River, Taita Taveta, Lamu and Mombasa.
Mombasa and its environs have seen heavy rain, which has waterlogged several fields. The organisers are likely to seek alternative venues should Shimo La Tewa grounds remain unusable.
- 'Passion, belief and discipline': He is an avid reader and motivational speaker on investmentAthletics 18 hours ago
- Big shots in chase for league titleHockey 1 day ago
- Trump pardons late black boxing champion Jack Johnson jailed for dating white womanBoxing 23 hours ago
- Champions League final line-ups: Real Madrid vs Liverpool at 9:45pm on KTN HomeFootball 21 hours ago
- PHOTOS: Liverpool fans attacked by hooligans ahead of Champions League finalFootball 1 day ago
- Why Real Madrid defender Marcelo chopped away the net after Champions League winFootball 29 minutes ago
- Boost for school games: Participants urged to take the games seriously and use their talent to benefitSports 18 hours ago