Nairobi City Stars halt Tusker’s title march in Nakuru
Nairobi City Stars halted Tusker’s charge to the title by holding the league leaders, the brewers’ Ugandan coach Paul Nkata insists they still have a realistic chance to win the trophy.
City Stars fought from a goal down to draw 1-1 with Tusker at at Afraha Stadium in Nakuru.
“We still have four clear points against our closest opponents (Gor Mahia) in the race for the title but we’ll not relent until the final match. For now, we are taking a match at a time,” Nkata said.
After wasting numerous scoring opportunities in the first quarter Anthony Ndolo opened the scores for Tusker in the 28th minute from a perfect cross by Allan Wanga from a corner that had been taken by Shafik Batambuze for a 1-0 half time lead.
City Stars resorted to long balls from the flanks and it did not come as a surprise when Robert Ndungu shocked Tusker custodian David Okello with a feeble strike for an equaliser on the 51st minute following some misjudgment between defenders Llyod Wahome and Martin Kiiza.
Nairobi City Stars coach Dennis Okoth was contented with the results and looks forwards to a better performance in their next match against Homeboyz in Nairobi.
“Snatching a point from such a tough match is commendable but it will not end there in our efforts to fight relegation,” Okoth said.
In Chemelil, hosts Chemelil Sugar were held to a 1-1 draw by Posta Rangers. Posta Rangers took the lead on the 27th minute through a penalty taken by Joseph Mbugi after Chemelil Sugar custodian Samuel Ochieng fouled Dennis Mukaisi in the box.
Chemelil Sugar’s efforts were rewarded with towering defender James Omino equalising for the millers onn the 61st minute.
At Moi Stadium Kisumu, Western Stima forced Ulinzi Stars to a one-all draw picking their second draw in a row.
Boniface Onyango scored for the soldiers before Wesley Kemboi levelled for his side ten minutes later in the 63rd minute.
—Reports by BenAhenda, Bosco Magare and Phillip Orwa
- Pogba’s latest statement leaves Man United fans excited worldwidePremier League 1 month ago
- Unbeaten Selecta are Division One champsFootball 3 weeks ago
- Tracing the greatness of champion Geoffrey KamwororAthletics 1 month ago
- Sir Alex Ferguson 'banned' from Old Trafford for Manchester United matchFootball 2 days ago
- Financial Abuse: UEFA warns clubs after Man City’s dirty linen leaksFootball 1 month ago
- Manchester City back on top as Jesus double sinks EvertonFootball 10 hours ago
- Gor Mahia’s Shakava relishing Everton meetingFootball 1 month ago