× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Stalled Itare Dam set to be completed in 2023

RIFT VALLEY
By Caroline Chebet | May 5th 2020

Completion of the stalled Itare Dam in Kuresoi North in Nakuru County might stretch to 2023 as the implementing body, Rift Valley Water Works Development Agency, seeks a new contractor.

The dam, which was slated for completion by April 2021 has stalled since September 2018 when the contractor left the site citing financial reasons. 

Rift Valley Water Works Development Agency Chief Executive Officer Hosea Wendot says they are in the process of closing books with the Italian Contractor CMC Di Ravenna who were declared bankrupt and are now looking for another contractor.

Wendot says CMC Di Ravenna contractor completed only 30 per cent of the work — this includes dam foundation, treatment plant, outlet tunnel, pipeline — leaving out almost 70 per cent of the work. This could take another one and a half year for the new contractor to complete.

Once complete, the multi-billion dam project was to provide clean drinking water to about 800,000 residents of Nakuru County. 

Once complete, water from Itare Dam was also slated for expansion of Lake Nakuru sewerage treatment plant.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations has been conducting investigations into alleged graft in the Sh38 billion Itare Dam project.

The dam is expected to yield 100,000 cubic metres of water per day. 

Share this story
Cleaning firm and hospital tussle over Sh6m debt
The company says it rendered services at Rift Valley Provincial Hospital between 2017 and 2019, but is yet to be paid.
Restoring Nairobi’s iconic libraries
Book Bunk is turning public libraries into what they call ‘Palaces for The People' while introducing technology in every aspect.

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

Feedback