Kikuyu elders in Bondo to endorse Raila Odinga
By Isaiah Gwengi and Mireri Junior | October 10th 2020
In what is seen as a 2022 succession politics, over 500 Kikuyu elders on Saturday morning arrived at Kang’o Karajamogi in Bondo to endorse ODM leader Raila Odinga's 2022 presidential bid.
6AM: Kikuyu Council of Elders arrive at Kang’o Karajaramogi, Bondo in choppers and buses.
7AM: ODM Raila Odinga is said to have arrived at Kan'go Ka Jaramogi with several MPs, Governors and senators joining him.
8AM: Dancing troops led by Kochia traditional dancers, Nyatiti and Apoya women dancers entertained the guests.
11AM: Raila accompanied by several MPs and Kikuyu Council of Elders Chairman Wachira Kiago honour the late Jaramogi Oginga Odinga.
1200: Prayers were led by Bishop of Bondo diocese Prof David Kodia and Bishop Ogonyo Ngede.
The delegation led Kiago arrived in Bondo by 6am in their brown regalia, the aim of the visit being to foster a political unity with their Luo Nyanza counterparts among other matters of national importance.
Also in the delegation is former Presidential candidate and Gatanga MP Peter Kenneth.
The visit comes after strategy meetings that were held in Nairobi and Kisumu between select representatives of Kikuyu and Luo Council of Elders.
Seen to be behind the political visit are anti-Deputy President William Ruto forces in Mt Kenya region led by Jubilee National Vice-Chairman David Murathe and Nominated MP Maina Kamanda.
The two are leading the elders rallying call to endorse Odinga as a one-term president in 2022.
To underscore the importance of the visit, Raila skipped the interfaith prayer session at State House, Nairobi led by President Uhuru Kenyatta to be with the Mt Kenya delegation.
Olympics: 5,000m runner Kimeli sails through to final, believes 2021 could be his year to deliver
- Syombua exit in 400m heats as Botswana’s Montsho calls it a day on the track
- Olympics: Syombua fails to qualify for semi-finals of women’s 400m, finishes 5th
- Our faith looks up to thee 1,500m Olympic gold medallist Faith Chepngetich
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession