× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Man suspected of killing teen in hiding after locals’ wrath

By Byrone Roche | September 23rd 2019

The house of a suspect of the murder of a 14 year old girl that was burnt down by angry mourners at Nyahera in Kisumu County on September 21, 2019. The suspect had been set free by policemen on unclear grounds. [Collins Oduor, Standard]

The burial of a teenage girl in Nyahera was momentarily disrupted at the weekend when residents invaded the home of her suspected killer.

Angry mourners burnt the suspect’s house after he went into hiding.

The residents were angered that the man, said to have defiled the 14-year-old girl before killing her, had been released from police custody.

After burning the house, the locals engaged police, who wanted to keep them from causing more damage in the suspect’s home, in running battles.

Vow revenge

Chaos started after a local church had finalised a burial service for the girl, and released the casket for interment.

The residents marched with the casket to the home of the suspected killer vowing to avenge the girl’s murder.

When they did not find him, they burnt his house. The girl was buried later on Saturday evening after her body was carried around the village by the screaming mourners.

Those interviewed said the girl was last seen at the suspect’s home last week, where she had gone to fetch water.

Her body was later found by a roadside in Nyahera.

“The suspect was released under unclear circumstances and that is what has led to the violence,” said Douglas Miyumo, a resident.

Elijah Odero, another resident, said the suspect was a water vendor in the village. He said the man was at home when the girl went there to fetch water.

Kisumu County Police Commander Benson Maweu said when the suspect was arraigned, the Directorate of Criminal Investigations asked for more time to unearth more evidence against him.

Mr Maweu averred that the court had few options but to release him. He stressed that police had a difficult time pinning the murder on the suspect since no witnesses had turned up to record statements.

“The villagers are only suspicious of him. No one wants to record a statement that we can use against the man,” said Maweu.

Difficult case

“It is a difficult case. Even the assistant chief does not want to come out and give evidence,” he added.

A post-mortem report indicated that the girl was strangled and hit with a blunt object.

The victim, according to police records, was also defiled.

Share this story
Six-star Sharks: Confederations Cup. Kenya’s representatives in pole after thrashing Djibouti opponents
Kariobangi Sharks dismantle Arta Solar in the debut in Africa and now head to Horn of Africa with their noses up.
Why Kenyan boxers are winning medals once again
The BFK led by President Anthony ‘Jamal’ Ombok was elected into the office in 2019 and has since...