Third suspect in the Mang'u murder case arrested

Gladys Njeri when she was arraigned at the Kiambu Law Court. [Fidelis Kabunyi, Standard]

A third suspect in the brutal murder of Rwanda-based engineer George Mwangi Kamau has been arrested by detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).

The suspect, John Muikiriria Mwangi went missing on the same day (October 10, 2022) as the deceased.

He was arrested at Karinga location in Gatundu South sub-county and is to be arraigned at the Kiambu law courts later today.

“The detectives found it was too much of a coincidence that the second accused Morris Kamau Mbugua was hired on October 8, 2022, by the main suspect Gladys Njeri Mwangi alias Chania, a day before the death and disappearance of the deceased. According to Chania, John Mwangi, who had worked at the home for four years allegedly failed to return home after she sent him to deposit some money on M-pesa”, DCI said in a statement.

Gladys, who unsuccessfully contested for the Kiambu Women Representative position in the August 9 polls, was remanded at the Lang’ata Women’s Prison until November 29 when her bail application will be heard.

She was charged at the Kiambu High Court alongside the second suspect, Maurice Kamau Mbugua and both denied the charges before Justice Mary Kasango.

The detectives conducted forensic documentation of the deceased’s house in Mang’u, and concluded that George was murdered in his house before his body was dumped in Kieni forest, Kiambu County.

Pieces of blood-stained metal rods, blood-soaked bed sheets, stained curtains and clothing were part of the exhibits that were recovered in the house by the sleuths based at the DCI National Forensic Laboratory.

An autopsy that was conducted by chief government pathologist Johansen Oduor revealed that Mwangi was hit on the head and back several times with a blunt object.

The report also revealed that the late struggled to defend himself from the killers as some of his fingers had fractures.

George Mwangi was buried at his Mang’u home in Gatundu North, Thursday, October 27. The media was barred from the burial that was attended by a few people.