By Cyrus Ombati
NAIROBI, KENYA: One worker with Kenya Power Limited was Tuesday killed and four others seriously burnt in an electrocution incident in Nairobi’s Donholm area.
The workers were busy working at a site when they touched a live wire, police said.
One of them aged 20 died on the spot while the other four aged 36, 24, 22 and 68 were rushed to hospital with serious burns.
Nairobi police boss Benson Kibue said the incident was reported by a KPLC manager who arrived at the scene minutes after the electrocution.
- 1 Kidney specialist Dr Were succumbs to Covid-19
- 2 Making a living from dressing alcohol bottles
- 3 Inside the rot ailing Nairobi Hospital
- 4 Uhuru second wife joke, wrong Bible verses light up day
“They were laying cables at the scene when they contacted a high voltage wire killing one on the spot while four others had serious burns,” said Kibue.
Kibue said they have together with the power supplier investigations to know how and why the supply was restored, as the workers were busy at the scene.
Kibue warned given the rain short season has started, there is a likelihood of experiencing an increase in electrocution cases.
A 12-year-old girl was Monday evening electrocuted in another incident in Kibera slums, Nairobi.
Police said the girl had stepped on a naked live wire as she played with other children in the area causing the death.
Kibue said such cases are common in slums where illegal power connections are rampant with no caution or care from the power supplier.
“There is need for people to be cautious especially this rainy season.”