Three KDF soldiers killed by terrorists in Westgate Mall
By David Ohito | September 24th 2013
By David Ohito
Nairobi, Kenya: Three Kenyan soldiers lost their lives as they gallantly fought to save hostages from the jaws of death at the ill-fated Westgate Shopping Mall in Nairobi.
The Chief of Kenya Defence Forces (CDF) General Julius Karangi said 11 soldiers sustained injuries and were admitted at Defence Forces Memorial Hospital.” Regrettably, three of them succumbed to their injuries.”
The number of soldiers killed in the operation adds to the death toll of 62 civilians among them several foreigners who were shot dead by the attackers.
A statement sent by military spokesman Colonel Cyrus Oguna said the KDF have not been deterred in the efforts of undertaking mop up operations inside the Westgate Mall building.
“The delicate and complex nature of the Westgate Mall siege rescue operation called for extreme care and caution to ensure the safety and security of the hostages. KDF approached this mission with the highest degree of professionalism.” Oguna said in a statement to Standard Digital.
The CDF Karangi condoled the families of the fallen soldiers and hailed them as “part of our modern day heroes who have paid the ultimate price in the defence of their country.”
“We wish to affirm that such cowardly acts of terrorism will not dampen KDF resolve to ensure that peace and stability is regained in Somalia and in the region.” The Statement added.
Emmanuel Korir wins Kenya's first Gold at Tokyo Olympics
- Kenya's Kiyeng bags bronze as Chemutai claims gold for Uganda in women's 3000m steeplechase
- Athing Mu: 19-year-old Sudanese prodigy shining for USA at the Tokyo Olympics
- Factbox: Coronavirus cases at the Tokyo Olympics
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession