× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Cartoons Lifestyle Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Ramadhan Special Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Security operation in disturbed Baringo, Turkana resumes

COUNTIES
By Kennedy Gachuhi | April 6th 2021
Rift Valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

Security agencies have been forced to resume an operation to fish out bandits after multiple attacks were witnessed in Baringo, Laikipia and Turkana counties.

Rift Valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya said that the intervention by political leaders who had requested for a one-month negotiation period had failed to bear fruit.

"Political leaders drawn from Baringo, West Pokot and Turkana had requested that we allow them to conduct a one-month peace campaign and voluntary disarmament. This has recorded minimal results and at least four attacks have been reported in the past two days," said Natembeya.

Natembeya was speaking at the Rift Valley regional headquarters, where he said that efforts by the political leaders to engage in peace talks had been curtailed by a section of local leaders as more attacks were being reported.

Last month, Senator Gideon Moi, Governor John Lonyangapuo (West Pokot) and Governor Stanley Kiptis (Baringo) among other political leaders from various parts of the region had engaged the Ministry of Interior.

The political leaders from across the region were requesting that the security operation and the dusk to dawn curfew be lifted.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiang'i on March 23 allowed their prayer giving them up to April 23 to have engaged the locals and forge a way forward for sustained peace in the area.

"The leaders were determined to give different solutions to banditry attacks within 30 days. They have so far held four meetings. Since then only three guns have been surrendered. With this trend it will take an eternity to save the situation," said Natembeya.

Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!

Take a survey

Natembeya said that the Ministry of Interior was also scheduled to gazette dusk to dawn curfew in the troubled areas and set up roadblocks at various entry points in Tiaty, Turkana East and Laikipia.

Share this story
President Suluhu sets up Covid taskforce, reopens sanctioned media houses
"We can’t accept everything without a thorough research,” local media quoted her saying.
AAR Healthcare to shut Tanzania business
A creditors meeting will be conducted on April 22, to formally appoint a liquidator for AAR Healthcare Tanzania Ltd.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

Feedback