× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Cartoons Lifestyle Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Ramadhan Special Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

CS Hassan Wario condoles with Mzee Ojwang's kin

COUNTIES
By Sophiah Muthoni | July 16th 2015

NAIROBI: Mourners continued to stream into the home of the late Benson Wanjau better known as Mzee Ojwang' to console the family.

Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario was among senior Government officials visited the home in Nairobi's Mbotela estate. The CS promised his ministry would lend a helping hand to the family.

He became the first Government official to visit the family of Ojwang' whom for over three decades cracked Kenyans' ribs and arguably birthed comedy in the country.

Dr Wario also promised the family and other artistes present he would fast-track the setting up of the Heroes Council under the Kenya Heroes Act that would see persons considered heroes like Ojwang' honoured for their contribution.

"We have lost a hero and the late Mzee Ojwang' and other artistes made Kenya feel like home no matter what part of the world you were in. He used our diversity to unite us and make us laugh and as a ministry we tried the best we could to ensure he and other artistes were taken care of," said Wario adding they hoped to receive sufficient funds to honour such people.

The family also held a press briefing through Walter Mong'are better known as Nyambane and the Nairobi County government communication director saying a committee, comprising the family, artistes, county and national governments, had been put together to oversee the burial plans.

Mong'are said: "We are still consulting on the date of the burial but Mzee Ojwang' had already said he would like to be buried at Lang'ata Cemetery so that will be the burial site."

The family said the burial might be held in about two weeks' time.

Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!

Take a survey

Mong'are said a fundraiser for burial plans would be held adding that this would give Kenyans an opportunity to contribute, in whatever way they wished, towards the final sendoff.

"No one has been given the authority to collect funds on behalf of the family yet so, anyone who purports to be doing so is a fraud. We will continue to update the media and the public on the progress through such briefings," he said.

Share this story
Magistrate to decide Thursday whether MP Kuria should be sent to remand prison
Controversial Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria faces anxious moments today as a magistrate's court is expected to rule if he should continue enjoying his freedom.
COVID-19 outbreak at Lukaku's Inter Milan
Inter Milan's Serie A match at home to Sassuolo on Saturday is to be postponed and their players will be pulled out of international duty after...

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

Feedback