By Esther Muchene
Besides the wedding, the other great moment the couple looks forward to is the honeymoon. At last, just the two of them in seclusion to spend time together with the entire wedding hustle behind their back.
To make it a worthwhile experience, it is always wise to plan ahead to avoid boredom arising from doing same old things. To ensure you’re on the same page, below are some tips on how to ensure you don’t get on each other’s nerves before the honeymoon is over.
• The most important thing is to spend time with each other! You did not go for the honeymoon to spoil yourself solo and just laze around. Engage in activities together, even if it means having to sacrifice to endure an activity you do not enjoy for the sake of your partner! If she loves swimming and you don’t, sacrifice and go with her hoping you can swim. When in the hotel room, turn off the television, put your phone off or on voicemail and simply spend uninterrupted quality time together!
- 1 Is a wedding worth the cost?
- 2 Ten things that make weddings successful
- 3 No more civil weddings: AG
- 4 Cleaning firm and hospital tussle over Sh6m debt
• Treat each other well and do special things for each other. If you’re both die-hard romantics, then go ahead and do activities that reflect that.
• Do leave your bad annoying habits at home — even better drop them entirely! You don’t want to annoy each other in a foreign place!
• Avoid anything that may result in arguments and feelings of resentment. Trust me those are not the memories you want to carry home.
• Do not have very high expectations of your partner when it comes to getting physical, considering the long day you both had and especially if you had to travel far to your honeymoon spot. Most couples expect to get intimate, but if your better half is tired, be understanding and let them rest. You have the rest of your lives to enjoy it. It won’t kill you to take a rain check just this one time.
• A lot of talking and laughing should be done. Be silly and do all the crazy things you can think of, but be considerate and sensitive to each other. Cut the teasing and criticising especially if it borders on physical traits. If you know your wife has insecurities about her self-image, do not make fun of her in any way. Make her feel beautiful and sexy instead and vice versa.
• Do not compare your partner to your previous partners or bring subjects related to your exes. This is a serious mood breaker.
• This being your honeymoon, carry with you some sexy clothes and lingerie for your new man for the romantic getaway. When it comes to activities such as dinner, dress up for each other.
• Play silly sexy games that will bring out the little boy and girl inside. This will help you discover some really interesting stuff about yourselves.
• If possible, have the lovely moments recorded. Have a photographer for a few hours or alternatively take the photos yourselves. Those memories are definitely worth remembering and cherishing.
Before you jump onto the plane or tour van, here is a list of details worth going through:
1. Decide how much money you’re willing to spend. Come up with a budget that will cover all your expenses. When doing this, do not break the bank, as this is just the beginning to a new life full of responsibilities.
2. Decide on your honeymoon destination preferences. Think about what both of you love and want to do while there and settle for a place that caters for some if not all of your needs.
3. Once you’ve settled on the type of place you two prefer and have a budget, pick a destination keeping in mind certain factors such as the climate, security and expenses.
4. If you have settled for a location overseas, which requires certain procedures, do so in advance. Make sure your passports are valid, apply for your visas in advance, insurance and get vaccinations required.
The writer is a certified wedding planner.