Saudi foreign minister rules out extraditing suspects in Khashoggi case
| December 10th 2018
Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister on Sunday ruled out the extradition of suspects in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, after Istanbul’s chief prosecutor filed warrants for the arrest of two former senior Saudi officials.
Turkish officials said last week that the prosecutor’s office had concluded there was “strong suspicion” that Saud al-Qahtani, a top aide to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and General Ahmed al-Asiri, who served as deputy head of foreign intelligence, were among the planners of Khashoggi’s Oct. 2 killing at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
“We don’t extradite our citizens,” Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said when asked about the arrest warrants. He was speaking at a news conference at a Gulf Arab summit in Riyadh.
Last month, the U.S. Treasury sanctioned 17 Saudis, including Qahtani but not Asiri, for their role in Khashoggi’s murder.
The Saudi public prosecutor has said the order to repatriate Khashoggi came from Asiri and that a travel ban has been imposed on Qahtani. Jubeir declined to confirm or deny whether the men were currently detained, referring the question to the Saudi public prosecutor.
Motion filed to impeach Somalia presidentA motion has been filed to impeach Somalia's President Mohamed Abdullahi. The grounds for the move were unclear.
Diabetes: Insulin now an essential drugListing NCDs is a relief to Kenyans like 65-year-old Kahuho Mathai from Nyeri County, who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.
Man arrested over death of four-month old daughter
- Nakuru woman sues husband over Sh10 million gift from father-in-law
By Daniel Chege
- Kabogo to face Baba Yao, Nyoro in race for governor
- No Kenyan among 18 Africa’s richest people on Forbes
By Brian Okoth
- Woman dies after she and her aunt were raped in Nyandarua
By Fred Kagonye
- Musalia Mudavadi pulled a fast one, the ANC boss’ political advisor says