× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Kalonzo Musyoka: Giving Security docket huge sum won’t end insecurity

COUNTIES
By Brigid Chemweno | June 14th 2015

Former Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka has faulted the Jubilee Government for allocating the Security docket a huge sum in the budget, arguing that such allocations in the past did not address runaway insecurity.

The Wiper leader termed the Sh224 billion budget allocation as corruption “since most of the money will end up in individuals’ pockets”.

“The Jubilee Government is unable to provide security to Kenyans. Increasing budgetary allocation for security is just another case of corruption,” said Kalonzo. In the budget unveiled by Finance Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich last week, security got the lion’s share, and the amount set aside is to be shared between the military, intelligence and national police. Rotich defended Treasury’s position, noting that insecurity remains a major problem and the Al Shabaab terror group still poses a threat to President Kenyatta’s administration.

He advised the State to eradicate corruption then invest more in intelligence gathering to rein in on insecurity. “Kenya should learn a lesson from Ethiopia, which has invested heavily in intelligence gathering. Their country has been safe from Al Shabaab attacks despite having their troops in Somalia and also sharing a border with the volatile country,” said Kalonzo.

Kalonzo spoke after touring Tassels Farm in Ruiru, Nairobi, and said leaders dealing with security matters should not take sides but inspire communities to live in peace.

Share this story
No room for the dead as Nakuru County declares two cemeteries full
Nakuru County has run out of space to bury the dead. Subsequently the County Executive in-charge of Health, Dr Mungai Kabii, has declared the North and South cemeteries full though a notice issued on June 2.

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

Feedback