× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Gender Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
VAS

PSV operators still lax about security measures despite brazen attacks

By JAMES MWANGI and PKEMOI NGENOH

Kenya: Even after two days of consecutive twin blasts claimed lives and injured scores in Mombasa and Nairobi counties, some matatu operators in Nairobi remain casual on safety of commuters.

Barely a day after two explosives ripped off two PSV buses along the Thika Superhighway on Sunday, business went as usual with little worry about security issues.

On Monday, The Standard conducted a spot check across some of the major matatu termini within and outside the city centre and witnessed lax security measures. Mwiki Sacco and Githurai 45 Sacco buses were attacked with Improvised Explosive Devices on Sunday evening but since yesterday, no efforts had been made to screen passengers boarding the Githurai 45 buses along Ronald Ngala, Nairobi.

Suspicious luggage

Business at the busy, congested stage went on oblivious of dangers posed by such ignorance. Commuters boarded unchecked with their luggage.

Around the city, very few matatu Saccos carried out security checks. At the Bus Station, few bus operators conducted checks but most 14-seater matatus did not bother.

Similarly, commuters appeared unconcerned of the people boarding with bags and other suspicious items.

At the busy Railways terminus, The Standard could not spot any vehicle screening passengers before boarding, so was the case with many 14-seater operators along Race Course and other streets. However, the Mwiki matatus along Race Course had were screening passengers and their luggage.

The Umoinner Sacco staff told The Standard the attacks have forced them to conduct the security checks throughout.

“Ours is not when an explosive attack or carjacking is reported. Screening has become our daily routine and we hope others will embrace this measure,” he said.

The twin blasts on the Thika Superhighway left at least two dead and dozens injured, at least three had their legs severed.

Women and children were among the casualties in the latest campaign of terror. It came as police revealed that two men suspected to be behind a terror attack on a bus in Mombasa on Saturday had been arrested and released by the courts.

Share this story
Ruto confirms Mombasa terrorists were out on bond
Deputy President William Ruto has criticised the courts for giving terror suspects bail even as police face the new challenge posed by easily available bomb-making material.
Diabetes: Insulin now an essential drug
Listing NCDs is a relief to Kenyans like 65-year-old Kahuho Mathai from Nyeri County, who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

;