SECTIONS

I was threatened by unknown people to leave Sonko case, lawyer tells court

Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko and part of his legal counsel at the Milimani Courts on June 15, 2022, where he filed his case to the IEBC disputes resolution committee panel. [Edward Kiplimo,Standard]

A lawyer representing Former Nairobi governor Mike Sonko has told the High Court in Mombasa how his car was blocked by unknown people and warned to leave the case alone.

Lawyer Derrick Odhiambo today told Justice John Mativo that on Tuesday, he was stopped in the Nyali area at 6:30 pm. He said he was lucky after two General Service Unit officers came to his rescue.

"A car had been trailing me and as l headed towards Nyali, two people who were in the car with one donning military uniform warned me to stay away from Mombasa politics and Sonko's case and that Mombasa has its owners," said Odhiambo.

Odhiambo is representing Sonko in an ex-parte application seeking for orders to quash the IEBC's decision not to clear him to vie for the Mombasa governor's seat.

Odhiambo said that they were now living in fear following the incident. He has since reported the incident at Nyali Police Station.

He urged the court to dispense with the matter as soon as possible.

"Our lives are in danger. We plead with you to hear this matter once and for all," said Odhiambo.

He further pleaded with the court to allow him to walk into the judge's courtroom for fear that his computer would fail to work as witnessed on Tuesday's hearing of the matter where he pointed out that all the counsels' computers and laptops failed to log in for the hearing of Sonko's matter

On his part, Justice Mativo expressed apathy to the lawyer and informed him that his court would not entertain any threats on the matter before him.

"All will be well. No threats will be entertained," he said.