Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho has been found guilty of contempt of court after failing to obey orders in a property case.
Mr Joho had been barred from demolishing property belonging to Ashok Doshi.
Yesterday, High Court Judge Silas Munyao ordered Joho (pictured) to present his defence before he is sentenced to six months in jail.
Changamwe MCA Benard Ogutu, with whom Joho was accused with, has also been ordered to appear before the court.
“Having heard the facts of the matter, I find both Governor Hassan Joho and MCA Benard Ogutu guilty of disobeying court orders," said Mr Munyao.
"I hereby direct the two to appear before this court to defend themselves before sentencing.”
Joho and Mr Ogutu had been accused of demolishing buildings on land that they claimed belonged to Changamwe Secondary School.
The buildings were owned by Mr Doshi.
Doshi had filed a suit seeking to have Joho and Ogutu arrested and committed to jail for six months for contempt of court.
Breach of orders
Doshi’s lawyer Willis Oluga said on March 6, 2019, Justice Ann Omollo granted orders stopping the County Government of Mombasa from interfering with the property in Changamwe.
“On May 10, 2019, Joho and Ogutu, accompanied by a number of other leaders, hired about 100 goons in breach of court orders and invaded the suit property, demolishing the walls of the buildings and the gate," said Mr Oluga.
"They held a public rally there and accused Doshi of being a land grabber.”
Mombasa County lawyer Tajbhai Tajbhai had argued earlier that Joho did not issue orders to demolish the multi-million-shilling property.
Doshi wants the court to rule that he is the rightful owner of the land, and issue a permanent injunction barring Joho and his county officers from trespassing or interfering with the property on it.