Police probe engineer's death in hotel room
By Linah Benyawa | February 16th 2016
An engineer working for the China Roads and Bridges Corporation (CRBC) has been found dead in his hotel room.
Police said he was found hanging from a rope in his room in Mwembe Tayari on Sunday morning and they were waiting for an autopsy to verify the cause of death.
Sources from the hotel said the man, who was about 45 years old, checked into his room at around 5pm on Saturday and never left. A worker who went to clean the room at around 10am on Sunday stumbled upon the body.
Police used documents found on his person to identify him. The man is said to have been working with the CRBC on the standard gauge railway project.
Coast Regional Police Commander Francis Wanjohi yesterday said it was not clear whether the man was killed or committed suicide.
“He checked into the hotel alone so we do not know if he had company or not, but his body was found by a cleaner the following morning and a rope had been tied around his neck so we cannot tell if it is suicide or if he was murdered and we want to unravel the mystery,” said Mr Wanjohi.
He added, “We are yet to contact the family. Nobody has been arrested yet.”
Emmanuel Korir wins Kenya's first Gold at Tokyo Olympics
- Kenya’s drought in women’s steeplechase goes on and on
- Athing Mu: 19-year-old Sudanese prodigy shining for USA at the Tokyo Olympics
- Factbox: Coronavirus cases at the Tokyo Olympics
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession