A county official has been accused of orchestrating chaos at Senator Moses Wetang’ula’s rally in Kakamega.
Police have linked Kakamega County Government Chief of Staff Daraja Nabii Nabwera to violence that broke out at Muliro Gardens on April 2, when Mr Wetang’ula was launching his presidential bid.
A file that had implicated Mr Nabwera in the violence was closed by a Kakamega Magistrates’ Court and subsequently forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
The DPP’s Peter Mailenyi yesterday applied before Kakamega Chief Magistrate Mary Kimingi for the closure of the miscellaneous file on Nabwera.
“We had orders in the file that the respondent (Nabwera) appears before police for investigations, which he obeyed. At the moment, we don’t need him but may call him later if need be. We therefore request the file be closed,” he said.
The court had earlier ordered Nabwera to report to the police for five days from between 9am to 5pm for probing.
Chief Inspector Richard Cheruiyot asked the court for time - which was granted - to probe Nabwera on the possibility of preferring war-related charges.
But on Thursday, Mr Mailenyi said an investigation into the violence was still on and the miscellaneous file would be forwarded to DPP Keriako Tobiko for advice.
Through his advocates led by Laban Anziya, Nabwera had no objection to the prosecution’s decision.
“We have no objection with that but request that our client be refunded his Sh20,000 cash bail,” said Mr Anziya. Ms Kimingi ordered the file closed and a refund of the cash bail.