Seven suspected thugs killed in Nakuru robbery attempt

By Mercy Kahenda

Nakuru, Kenya: It was the end of the road for seven gangsters who had planned to kidnap a businessman of Arab origin in Nakuru when police officers shot and killed them in the compound of would be victim.

Police officers shot dead the seven, six men and a woman as they got into the compound of Mr Dharesh Patel at Moi Flats estate on Sunday at around 8.30pm. The thugs had tied the guard at the gate before getting into the compound unaware that undercover police officers were waiting for them.

The thugs who were in a saloon car registration number KAC 367K had ordered the guard to open the gate and lie down.

Two thugs had tied the watchman and closed the gate while their accomplices were still in the vehicle looking for a place to park their vehicle.

Police, who were already in the compound then sprayed the vehicle with bullets.

Confirming the incident, Nakuru OCPD Bernard Kioko said police officers have been trailing the suspects for the past two weeks after receiving a tip off from the public that they were planning to rob and kidnap the trader.

“These thugs had planned to kidnap the trader at around 7.30pm and since police officers were aware of the incident," said Kioko who led the operation.


The thugs were not immediately identified since each had more than five identification cards.

“It is surprising that these suspects have more than one identification card that makes it difficult for us to identify them,” said the OCPD.

Police officers recovered a homemade gun, four axes, several drinks, several phones, ropes and bread.

“These gangs had a rope that they planned to use to tie the victim and his family. Alcoholic drinks and bread was to be given to the victim to make him inactive during the incident,” said the OCPD.

The victim who was to be kidnapped is a trader who owns Akshar Auto spares that sells motor vehicle and tractor spare parts in Nakuru town. The brother to the victim Arvind Patel said the incident left the family in fear but thanked police officers for their swift action to avert the kidnap.

Some of the thugs were identified by locals and are said to have been involved in criminal activities in Nakuru.

They also identified the car which operates as a taxi along Nakuru's Kanu street.

Bodies of the deceased were taken to Nakuru Municipal Mortuary while police continue with investigations to identify them.