Police arrest wife of Asian trader as murder investigation intensifies

Detectives at the scene of crime at Lukenya Conservancy forest where businessman Jayesh Kumar remains allegedly found by area Conservancy Officers early Sunday. [Samson Wire, Standard]

Police are holding the wife of a Nairobi businessman who went missing before his body was found in Lukenya, Machakos, last Monday.

The woman, who is said to be among the last people to be seen with the missing man on February 14, was picked by detectives from Nairobi area Crime Research and Intelligence Bureau on Wednesday.

She was produced before a Kibera court on Thursday where investigators sought more time to continue holding her over the murder of Jayesh Kumar Kanji.

The arrest of the businessman’s wife came a day after one of the four suspects in police custody provided crucial information on the murder of Kumar. So far, five suspects are in police custody over the murder.

Police investigations have revealed that the plan was not to kill the businessman but to maim him.

Sources close to the investigations told The Standard Kumar was to be punished because he was engaged in an extra-marital affair.

One of the suspects claims he was approached by one of the family members of the businessman last December.

According to the police, on Valentine’s Day, Kumar left his house accompanied by his wife and children. At around 9.30am, they were seen walking along Kodi Road in Nairobi West. He then parted ways with his family.

Kumar is said to have been ‘picked’ by one Kaylan Shivji at a petrol station in Lang’ata and proceeded to Machakos County. This was the last time he was seen alive.

The following day, his brothers – Hetish Kumar and Dipak Valji – went to Lang’ata Police Station to report a missing person after Kumar failed to show up that evening.

The businessman’s body was found at Lukenya Conservancy by security guards.

The guards alerted Kyumbi (DCI) officers who collected the bones and documented the matter as an incident of an unknown person who had been eaten by wild animals.

The first suspect was arrested at Tuff Foam in Athi River.

Police believe Kumar was first hit on the head before being killed.

The court granted the investigators 21 days to hold the suspects and conclude their investigations.

State agency to up safety standards in nuclear energy
By Brian Ngugi 16 hrs ago
Premium Black market to thrive as Ruto tax plan suffers blow
Real Estate
Premium Why there is a boon in real estate amid tough economic conditions
Fresh plan to privatise 200 state agencies