500 law firms sought in court fraud probe
News
By
Cyrus Ombati and Geoffrey Mosoku
| Oct 24, 2018
Detectives have roped in hundreds of law firms in investigations on the loss of more than Sh36 million from Milimani law courts.
The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) launched the probe three months ago following revelations that the Judiciary could have lost millions in the scam.
The scandal, according to investigators, involves judicial officers and banking officials who received money from the law firms but failed to remit the same to authorised accounts.
In the scheme, some law firms paid money meant for filing fees, replete with receipts, but the cash never reached Judiciary's accounts.
One advocate of the affected firms told The Standard: “We are victims and will cooperate with the agencies if and when they want us. It was fraud”.
READ MORE
Why housing has become an economic crisis
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Motivational speakers: When they sell you false business hopes
Africa Summit win for Kenya and continent, but on whose terms?
Youth gain skills in electronics repair and e-waste management
Last August the DCI wrote to Chief Registrar of Judiciary Anne Amadi requesting for all transaction documents for the period between 2016 and last year.
Thirty officers in the court’s registries and cash office have recorded statements with the DCI, which is expected to forward the file to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Unearthed the scam
The DCI initiated the investigation following a request from Ms Amadi after an internal audit unearthed the scam.
Amadi further called on the DCI to begin investigations so the culprits could be prosecuted.
Yesterday, George Kinoti, the DCI boss, said investigations were ongoing. He said his officers were gathering evidence and interrogating officials mentioned.
“We will ensure the lost money is recovered and make recommendations to stop such practice in future,” he said.