Community marks festivities in Mombasa
By Philip Mwakio
Dawoodi Bohra community members followed proceedings of this year’s Ashara Mubaraka broadcast live from Mombasa town.
Ashara Mubaraka has spiritual significance for the community.
The spiritual leader, Dr Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin, who jetted into the country from India a fortnight ago, on Sunday led the discourses from the Masjid Burhani in Mombasa’s Old Town.
Burhanuddin’s discourses are being relayed in more than 700 Dawoodi Bohra centres worldwide.
Burhanuddin is regarded as an ambassador of peace and goodwill internationally. Thirty thousand Dawoodi Bohra community members from Asia, Europe, Americas and Africa are attending the ten-day festivities.
Mombasa has been abuzz with activities since the arrival of the community leader. Security was tight at the venue with both Kenya Police and Dawoodi Bohra volunteers manning the premises.
Suspected motorbike thief stoned, set on fire
- Gatundu residents chase away dam workers
- Kileleshwa’s spiderman to spend seven days in custody
- Mwananchi Credit goes after Waititu's vehicles
- Sonko: Man who lived in a glass house and dared to throw stones
- KCSE candidate explodes with rage after ‘mwakenya’ snatched
By Fred Kibor