Breaking the fashion rules to create a whole new look, writes Wambui Thimba
The old rule of wearing only one print at a time is boring and, thankfully, no longer applies. Mixing different patterns has become an art in fashion and is taking over the runways.
However, it can be tricky to pair pieces with different prints without looking mismatched or crazy.
Here are some easy and fun ideas for translating this trend into something you can wear everyday.
• Mix prints of two different sizes. For example, pick a top with a large print and pair it with a smaller print piece on the bottom. This keeps you from looking way over-the-top and gives the eyes somewhere to ‘rest.’
- 1 Survivors of Nigeria massacre recount a tale of horror
- 2 What's in a name? The big battle for SportPesa brand
- 3 Trump openly floats idea of 2024 White House run
- 4 Seven killed in deadly clashes as raiders attack village
• Subtly match colours. You don’t want to look like you tried to match the print colours and failed. So, pick one colour that will be represented in both pieces.
• Use accessories to pull the look together. A crazy print looks more subdued underneath a blazer, making it easier to match with a print on your bottom half. You can also wear one print piece and carry a different print bag or throw on a contrasting (yet complementary) bangle.