Teacher who bit teenager's finger on the run four years later

A case in which an ECDE teacher is accused of biting a teenage girl's finger has dragged in the courts almost for four years after the suspect disappeared.

Lucy Wanjiku was arrested on January 8, 2019, and arraigned the following day and charged with assault.

Wanjiku was accused of biting the teenager's left middle finger during a quarrel at their plot.

The accused is alleged committed the offence on January 1, 2019, in the Mawanga area of Nakuru North in Nakuru County.

Appearing before Nakuru Resident Magistrate Wilson Kitur, she denied committing the offence and was released on a Sh100,000 bond with an alternative cash bail of Sh50,000.

Court proceedings indicate that Wanjiku failed to attend court for mention of the case on January 19, 2019, and the court ordered her arrest.

She absconded on February 8, March 23, May 10 and 24, June 28, and August 1, the same year.

On August 30, 2019, her cash bail was forfeited. She however failed to attend court on October 16 and November 29, 2019.

On January 9, 2020, she was arrested and presented before Principal Magistrate Bernard Mararo.

"I have been unwell and unable to attend court," she claimed.

However, the court ordered that she be remanded at Nakuru GK Prisons.

The court ordered a pre-bail report which was filed on August 18, 2020, by probation officer Lilian Ondari.

The report stated that Wanjiku was taking the matter lightly and had threatened Wambui for reporting her. It further indicated that Wambui's finger was permanently damaged, and the charges were amended from assault to grievous harm.

Senior Resident Magistrate Rose Ombata imposed a bond of Sh100,000 on Wanjiku with an alternative cash bail of Sh50,000.

"The accused is a flight risk based on the fact she absconded court for a year. Chances of her skipping court are high," read the report.

Despite the report, the court on August 20, 2020, reviewed the bond from Sh100,000 to Sh50,000 and bail from Sh50,000 to Sh20,000. Wanjiku raised the bail and was released.

Wambui testified on September 9, 2020, that her finger was severed and she can no longer study well, nor do house chores. Two other witnesses testified and corroborated her testimony.

On September 30, 2021, Wanjiku was absent in court. She failed to attend court on November 4, 2021, and on February 3, this year. Her cash bail was forfeited.

Since then she has not been seen and Wambui's mother wants the police to be swift and look for her.

The case will be mentioned on October 5.

The Standard
Make this Easter memorable with our KES999 annual offer!