';
×
× Digital News Videos Opinions Cartoons Education U-Report E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian SDE Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Coast
Joho accused the residents of transporting the virus to Likoni and Changamwe that have recorded more than 11 since Wednesday.

Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho says Old Town residents who fled the estate before it was placed under lockdown are now spreading the virus in other parts of the county.

Joho accused the residents of transporting the virus to Likoni and Changamwe that have recorded more than 11 since Wednesday.

Most of Mombasa’s cases and deaths from Covid-19 are from Old Town. By end of last week, 18 people had died all from the highly congested estate.

Cases have been on the rise in Changamwe and Kisauni and officials believe they are connected to Old Town.

SEE ALSO: Premier League clubs given go-ahead for friendlies

Before the lockdown was effected on May 7, five people who had tested positive for Covid-19 had escaped from the estate.

Joho further said that 11 new cases had been recorded in Bibi Wa Shafi village out of where 100 households were tested.

“When Old Town was being put under cessation, there are people who thought they were smart to move out before the lockdown was implemented. That is why you see a surge in cases in other areas,” said Joho.

By yesterday, the county had recorded over 331 cases.

Joho expressed his frustrations in efforts to curb the virus from spreading saying Old Town residents were the most uncooperative in the war against Covid-19. 

SEE ALSO: Fears at Malaba border as eight sick drivers dumped

The governor said that despite all the concerted efforts to help the Old Town residents, they were still adamant towards getting tested.

Joho spoke while receiving Sh10 million donation from Diamond Trust Bank that will see more than 2,000 vulnerable families benefit. Part of the money will also be used to sink two boreholes.

Joho said he had done everything possible including availing free-testing and waiving fees for those who might be placed in quarantine but most residents were still adamant on being tested.

“The county has done everything possible. In fact every of your demand has been met but you continue to frustrate and undermine our efforts to fight the pandemic. We have provided you with free mass testing, free medication at quarantine, free food but you still don’t want to be tested,” lamented Joho.

DTB General Manager for the Coast Region Jacob Shibu said the relief programme will be carried out in collaboration with the Mombasa County government and the County Emergency Household Relief and Nutrition Support Project Committee.

SEE ALSO: Covid-19: Sakaja team Bill to cushion vulnerable

Shibu said the programme is part of the bank’s interventions to cushion the most vulnerable from effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

“DTB will spend Sh5 million for the provision of meals for needy families while Sh5 million will be spent on digging the boreholes in Likoni, where they are expected to serve 20,000 residents,” said Mr Shibu.

The bank, he said, had committed Sh100 million for relief interventions and already Sh50 million has been handed to the Emergency Response Fund. 


Old Town Covid-19

Read More