';
×
× Digital News Videos Opinions Cartoons Education U-Report E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian SDE Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Eastern
The Water and Search rescue team from the county government retrieved the bodies.

Four Mavoko Water and Sewerage Company workers died after inhaling carbon dioxide in a sewer compartment.

The employees suffocated inside a sewerage compartment during a routine operation on Tuesday afternoon.

Machakos county director of Emergency Services David Mwongela said the men inhaled carbon dioxide gas inside the reservoir where they were carrying out routine maintenance checks.

SEE ALSO: PHOTOS: Governor Mutua’s dream ‘White House’ sparks rebuke, praise

“There was limited oxygen in the reservoir when they entered. Unfortunately they all suffocated to death due to inhaling excessive carbon dioxide,” Mwongela said.

The sewer treatment facility is located at Kwa Mangeli in Athi River township.

Mwongela added that the Water and Search rescue team from the county government retrieved the bodies from the compartment.

“Our officers completed the operation within one and a half hours after arrival at the scene."

Athi River subcounty police commander Samuel Mukuusi said the four bodies were taken to Machakos Level 5 Referral Hospital mortuary.

SEE ALSO: Inside Governor Mutua’s dream White House

Governor Alfred Mutua sent condolence messages to the bereaved families and ordered a probe.


The Standard Staff Drown Athi River Governor Alfred Mutua

Read More